‘Prince’ Peacock

A new creative drawing in coloured pencils of ‘Prince’. Photo reference of the peacock from Ainslie Gilles-Patel (although I cant share this reference you can find it over at the PMP website). I printed out the reference and had a scribble to see what would come out in a creative form, I really wanted to add another element to just the head and I could see flowers included. Here is the outline of the idea I came up with …
pp1

Because the peacock has a striking blue and some teals I knew I wanted to keep the remainder of the artwork in more subtle colours to keep the bird as the focus. Purples, pinks and other shades of blue will work well.
pp2

I found some photos of some purple flowers as a reference to utilise for colouring and made up the flowers as I went along. To keep with the background reference I utilised some of the placement of the shadows but used my own colour choices to compliment the bird.

pp3

And so I work around and all over the place working my layers and building it up as I go. I am using Strathmore Bristol Vellum paper and Faber Castell Polychromos pencils. My photos aren’t the best for light but you can see the progress stages.

pp4

The peacock has a lot of detail in the head area so it takes me some time to work on this part. I am pressing harder for more solid areas of the darkest shadows and the deepest blue. When I sketched my idea I wanted to add some flourishes to the design. As I began colouring I wasn’t quite sure how I was going to approach these areas but then decided to utilise the background colours to portray the flourishes without actually going into a full flourish effect. This keeps it more simple and still works within the whole design. I love it when I don’t know how something is going to end up, I have an idea of where I want to go with a piece but sometimes things change as I go along and new ideas come about and make the whole process for me more fun.
pp5

Still some more work to do on the head area and at this point I am really not liking the dot curve of the oval on the right side. I need to re-assess my whole idea and find something that is going to make that area work better. I decide to deepen my background which it needs and blend in those dots.

EPSON MFP imageThis is the final artwork of ‘Prince’. I’ve used odourless turps to smooth out the whole piece. Always makes a better photo to share when I scan it in directly rather than take a photo.

If you like ‘Prince’ you can buy apparel, cases and skins, home décor, wall art, bags and stationery of him here

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s